I had a customer tell me last week that they were surprised I was showing them a new home in a new subdivision.
They were under the impression that agents would not show these homes and that they thought real estate agents actively steered their clients away from new construction.
Let me tell you, nothing could be further from the truth. Builders know that home buyers seek out the services of real estate agents and builders want to tap into this tremendous lead system. The real estate agent is still paid a commission by the builder, and the buyer still gets representation in the transaction by having a real estate agent on their side.
If you are on the market for a home, new construction is defintely one of the first places I would look.
One drawback to new construction is that this happens in the most cost effective manner in the outter reached of the suburbs where there is cheap land that can be bought in quantity. But, if you can handle the location, you will find a lot to desire.
- New homes use modern construction techniques for a stronger frame, roof, and foundation.
- The rooms are generally larger, the walls and attic are better insulated.
- You get all new mechanical systems that reduce annual maintenance and energy costs.
- Better traffic flow patterns and a variety of floor plan choices.
- You can have an active part in the design process if you can wait for the home to be built or you can choose a prebuilt spec home.
There are a lot of advantages to purchasing a new home, and your agent should be making you aware of this option in your home search. If not, ask, they will be happy to help. This is a terrific time to purchase and we are fortunate to have a lot of high-quality honest homebuilders in the Saint Louis market.